The TISTA Engineering and Agile Collaboration Hub (TEACH®) is an open platform for government leaders and industry experts to come together to seek information, share best practices, and participate in inter-agency workshops focused on solutions to daily challenges and long-term transformation. TEACH houses our Agile development projects for both the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). It is designed to offer an open and flexible environment to encourage team collaboration, cultivate innovation, and enable continuous quality improvement through cross-team synergy, innovative ideas and exchange of best practices.
API Collaborative Workshop for VA, CMS and Other HHS OPDIVs
Explore the possibilities of a product agnostic API collaboration among the VA, CMS and other Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) operating divisions.
• Thursday, June 21, 2018
• 10 a.m., to 2 p.m., ET
• TISTA HQ, 1201 Seven Locks Rd., Rockville, MD 20854
During this four-hour workshop, government executives will exchange ideas and discuss commercially proven API practices, including strategies, implementation approaches, and special considerations. Facilitators include Dion Hinchcliffe who is widely regarded for Next-Gen API Enterprise, as well as other industry experts. There is no cost for government executives.
A recognized thought leader and enterprise architect, especially in API, Dion has a track record delivering enterprise solutions and strategies for clients in the Fortune 500, federal government, and Internet startup community. His core practice areas are API strategy, customer experience, digital business, next-generation IT, digital transformation, as well as Internet of Things and artificial intelligence. Previous large-scale clients included Accenture, Prudential, World Bank, IBM, LG, Best Buy, DIA, & GEICO.
TISTA’s Health IT CTO specializing in API and application development. Nathan brings 22 years of experience architecting and implementing technical solutions for API, big data analytics, and cloud strategy; for healthcare, media and entertainment, and financial industries. He has previously served in technical leadership roles at KGS, AOL and Wells Fargo, and provided technical consultation to AT&T and IBM.
- API Understanding and Level Set
- Review foundational elements of an API ecosystem, from protocols to API lifecycle and management, special considerations such as GovCloud APIs, and proven commercial API best practices for API strategy, design, specification, tools, technologies and standards
- Case studies explore advances and best practices from countries that are leveraging APIs for their digital transformation in delivery of government services; case studies include the governments of United Kingdom (UK), City of London, and Australia
- Emerging API Technologies
- Understand how containerization and virtualization, microservices design patterns, integration hubs, DevSecOps, and other emerging technologies are changing the API ecosystem
- Craft “Modern Government API Reference Model”
- During the working lunch, collaboratively craft an API reference model that encompasses API consumers, platforms for collaboration and discovery of APIs, API providers, and a governance structure between government and its stakeholders (partners, contractors, and other government agencies)
- API Leader Roundtable
- Closeout the day with a discussion on leveraging cross-agency collaboration through partner APIs, key takeaways from the workshop, and next steps, including finalization of the API reference model
View the full agenda here